Saturday, May 8, 2010

Personal Thanks and recognitions

Personal May 8, 2010
Friends, colleagues, family and friends of friends
This has been 1 of the most remarkable things I have ever done and seen. Without you as a supporter, I would not have experience what I have done over the past 35 days.
Climbing is one thing,( something I have been doing for almost 8 years now with little fanfare) but helping people understand what I did everyday when I climbed ( fun fast paced learning is what it is called), in a place that is the most unbelievable place on earth, is a feeling that I will never forget.
I was your lab rat and it was fun and exciting and I hope one day again, you can come along and learn even more in a another part of the world where I will be climbing. I have never done a blog. I have never even done a diary. I had always lived for the moment because this was a personal thing but this was the first for me. I opened myself up to the world on a mountain when all odds were against me, even though I had trained exceptionally hard for this for over 2 years. I was not comfortable in doing it at first due to the high success rate of failure in reaching the top but I would not trade this experience now for anything in the world as it shows me that if something is interesting and someone people know is doing it, it can be a learning experience for everyone even when the goal is not met. (I still have to tell you that I am so disappointed in the way it ended and I am sorry I was not able to give you even more)
Everest is a special place and I know each of you learned more about Mt Everest than you could have ever imagined. I know this because I got email, I got blog replies, I got phone calls and my family got more personal contact on a daily basis that ever before on any topic since I have been alive and that was 48 years ago. I heard from people on 6 of the 7 continents and a lot of them knew nothing about me climbing before much less Mt Everest. That is totally amazing!!!! I appreciated your prayers and support and it must have worked because I am coming home safely with everything attached and the mind is still good.
At this point (as I sit in this cold tent begging for some warm weather), I really am not interested in coming back to MT Everest but I also know time heals a lot of old wounds. (But it will have to be a lot of time) It still has a special place in my heart but it has taught me some very hard lessons with my physical body but also with my ego. I have my list to go back and reevaluate what happened, why? What could have been done different etc. I have quite a long list to go through but rest assured if I can conquer some of these things in a different day under different circumstances, I will make another run at this great mountain.
Again Thanks for all you have done for me. I hope that I will see some of the people that I have corresponding with in the last month before I have to climb this mountain again.

13 comments:

  1. Daddy I am so proud of you for how far you made it! not even the top could make me prouder! I love you sooo much and I can not wait to see you! You are such an amazing man and I know that your dream will one day get you to the top! I love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, I love you. Jerri Mc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve, feeling better back at camp is just confirmation that you made the right decision. Cold comfort and proably one of life's little thorns but you can be proud of your effort and persistance. No one take this experience away from you ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Khun Steve,

    It takes a true man to recognize when caution is the better part of valour. I have been amazed at your perserverance through all the trevails you have encountered.

    Let me just say I would climb with you till Hell freezes over and then across the ice. Or half way across Texas. Which ever is harder.

    Travel safe back to the world. You have done well my Friend.

    Danny K.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve,
    You still da Man! I've read your story daily and been amazed at every entry. You are a courageous man and a great adventurer. Someone who is brave enough to go anywhere and never forget where he came from!
    I'm proud of you!

    Buddy F.

    ReplyDelete
  6. papa im so proud of you. i know this isnt how you wanted it to end but im thankful you had the courage to come back down when you knew you couldn't make it. can't wait to hug your neck! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steve,
    Your Everest Adventure has followed the path that was meant for you. We have watched as you challenged yourself mentally and physically beyond what most of us will never even imagine. You have met each challenge with strength, courage and wisdom. I know making the decision to get off that mountain was the most difficult challenge of all. This climb is now ending as I have prayed it would. You are coming home alive, well and a changed person. Not defeated, but ready for the next adventure. All of us will die and most without the fanfare you described, but you will have taken advantage of all life has to offer.
    'Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, WOW !!!! What a ride!'

    I will be spending Mother's Day with two beautiful young women in a place I truly love. I thank you for that and wish you were here. You will be in our minds and hearts.
    You are my best friend and I love and miss you.
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Steve,
    I have enjoyed your Everest adventure via your blog. I am very proud of all you accomplished. I will continue to pray for a safe return to the USA. I love you.
    Sybil

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mr. Steve, I am so proud of you! I'm so glad that you made the decision to come down instead of risking your health (physical and mental) trying to get to the top. Not many people can say that they have even attempted Everest, but you can! I look up to you and admire your strength and courage in all of this. Can't wait till you get back to the US and get to hang out with us at the beach! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, tough hard decisions for you I am sure. However, you have Spirit, it’s in you and you fight for that Spirit. You believe in it, you live for it, and I can tell from your writings that you will return to Everest. This has certainly been a hard fought; tough journey for you, your family, and your inner circle and that is evident. But I get the feeling that as you turn your back to Everest for the last time on this trip, you are merely letting the mountain know that it has only had a glimpse of Steve and you will find the Spirit to return and conquer all of its majesty.

    In your time on the mountain you have already endured, overcome, and experienced more than most of us following you will ever even dream about doing or seeing. I have complete confidence that you will also overcome the problems that you suffered and return to summit the grand mountain. The wealth of knowledge you gained mentally, physically, and logistically on this trip cannot be valued and will certainly help you in the future to realize your goal.

    We have enjoyed following your journey and I know that you will look back on this and enjoy having done it. We look forward to hearing more from your travels in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Steve,
    During the past six weeks, I have thought of you and prayed for you daily. You have shown such strength, integrity and passion in every aspect of your climb. You are admired and respected by so many people and given us the opportunity to experience the great adventure with you. Thank You! Yes, we are so blessed that you listened to your body and made the right decision to end your climb.
    "Success is not measured by what you accomplish but by the opposition you have encountered, and courage with which you have maintained the struggle against overwhelming odds."
    Orison Marden
    I am so proud of you and look forward to seeing you soon.
    I hope you had a nice hike down to Nema's house and continue to have safe travel to Bangkok.
    Lots of love,
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  12. G'day Steve, Graham Wylie here. I'm pleased to read that you are safe and well. Really enjoyed following your first blog. Can't imagine how tough those conditions were. It would have frozen most of us to the core. Anyway, you did get a long way up Everest and congratulations for your spirit in following this scary and dangerous dream. With a bit more luck (weather etc.) I reckon you would have reached the summit. Bet you'll be happy to get back to your home (BKK and USA) and some nice good old fashioned warmth! I'm sure you'll get omongst the action again of climbing and when you do, I'll read it. I'm not much of a reader normally, but I enjoyed your journey & frank words, very real. Anyway, you have inspired me to get more physical. Well done Steve and best wishes in future.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It s often more difficult to give up than to summit
    your decision is the good one even it s difficult for the ego
    see you soon my friend

    ReplyDelete