Saturday, May 1, 2010

Rest Day #2 base camp Sat May 1st

Saturday May 1st
May Day at Mt Everest
Happy May Day to all. Wish I was home to see some of my friends and enjoy some warm weather. I am only 3 days away from being gone 1 month and how times fly. I am ready to be home but there is still much work to do before that happens.
It has been a long time of cold, snowy weather and food that I would love to swap for a Nathan’s chili dog, Poe’s hamburger, Pizza Company double pepperoni pizza, Outback onion loaf, anything at Bourbon Street (BKK), Chili’s fried cheese, Wild Wing lemon pepper wings, etc and if lucky, I have less than a month left before I can enjoy this kind of good food again.
I finally got my bath today because the weather was so much better today in the morning. I know you think of a shower at home but this is just a bucket of hot water with a ¼” spout on it to let it run over your body. Doesn’t sound like much but it still feels good. 90 degree F water falling over your body in 40 degree F weather actually feels good and at least you smell better. Add a little baby powder, deodorant, body lotion and some clean clothes and you feel like a million $’s, at least for a few days. Again the little things are big things up here.
Yesterday (April 30th) was the 25th anniversary of Dick Bass starting his climb of MT Everest and become the 1st person to summit all the “7 Summits and he later went on and wrote the book “The 7 Summits.” This really started the mountaineering craze and has led to the increase in people around the world in people trying to complete 7 summits. Dick is 80 years old now and was trying to make it base camp with a lot of help but this plan did not work.
This is for sure a dream of mine but is not the end of mountaineering career if I do not get done. I have slowly been getting them done but also have been experiencing other great mountains in the world also. If I can somehow complete this summit then I for sure will try to make the last 2 mts (Denali (Alaska) and Vinson (Antarctica)
We are having dinner at our place tonight with some guys from RMI ( Seth a friend of mine and Mark Tucker) and Peter Hackett ( Father of High Altitude medicine), and Ruth who is Dr in Alaska. This should be interesting conversation. We are having country ham from a place in Paris TN called, Swifty Ham so I am looking forward to dinner.
I am off for today so read up and give me your comments.
Thanks for all for the support and kind words.

1 comment: