Friday, April 16, 2010

Everest Base Camp Home

We are located somewhere around 17500 ft above sea level. While it looks like a huge rock quarry, it is really rock lying on top of a glacier. It is constantly moving and when I am in the bed at night I listen to the snap crackle and pop of it moving. ( AT 18000 ft the oxygen level is 50% vs 100% at sea level so everything is a chore to do without breathing hard)
Jim says that our camp will have to be moved around before we leave and he has seen even a crevasse open up under the mess tent in a previous year. This caught my attention when I heard several loud pops under my tent the first night.
The other thing I hear constantly is the avalanches of the mountains surrounding us. It is rocks and snow. One of the things today that were brought up was the trail into camp 1. Evidently there is a crevasse that is quite large with a ladder over it and this could cause a bottleneck with many people at risk if an avalanche happened in this avalanche prone area. Jim attended a meeting to discuss the plans of all the teams to help medicate this risk over the next few days. I haven’t heard the plan but will know more before we go on Sunday morning.
I am living in a 3 man tent with a mattress and blanket and I lay my sleeping bed on top of it to keep warm. My head faces the mountain as in most Asian cultures you never show anyone the bottom of your feet. I have my 3 duffel bags surrounding me like a barrier to keep anything or anyone out. Can’t believe it is all I need for 2 month of living. It is nice and comfortable but certainly not like my home in BKK.

2 comments:

  1. WOW!WOW!WOW! Steve, you sounded awesome this morning and I am so proud of the great job well done with the ice falls! I know it has been such a fear of yours and having Martin there was a wonderful treat. I know he was just as proud of you as you were yourself. I know when we were in Atlanta talking about your hiking fears and you showing me the ice falls pictures how it looks impossible. Now you have done it and feel good about doing it. I know it is a great feeling to have had a positive first time on the ice falls. Way to go!!!! I am so proud of you and so glad you are doing great! Keep that great attitude and keep up the super work.
    I know you will miss Martin, but know you will have so many still supporting you around the world!!!!!! Keep that good judgement going.

    Another perfect day at the Gulf and wish you were here with us. Just finished a great long run. Doing longer runs in your honor and today made it harder because it is so windy. Red flag out today and girls are sad because they want to get in the ocean. We have one more day here and heading back home and school starts back Monday. Lots of love... Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sound you have a really good organisation
    it s why i like to travel with us company!!
    Sound good

    ReplyDelete