Thursday, April 8, 2010

Long day at Airport but FINALLY got out

we went to the airport again around 8 am and finally left around noon. We went out to the plane and boarded and then sat there for 45 mins waiting on the air traffic controller to clear us.

we finally left with me in the back seat of this 15 passenger twin ottor prop plane next to my guide Jim Williams and the pretty Nepalese flight attendant who had made the flight twice that morning already.

The flight over was unbelievable I have flown in a lot of planes in my day but this was by the far the worse flight I have flown.

The wind was very bad and after my stomach had dropped to my feet a couple of times I was ready to get off that plane and then all of a sudden a huge gust of wind came and just blew us sideways that is when I told Jim I was ready to get off. Thank goodness the flight attendant told me everything was ok with her sweet smile because I Had the bag ready for my sickness if we didn't land soon.Just so you know. The landing is like throwing the plane up against a mountain with under inflated tires onto a runway built at a 20 degree angle that is only 800ish feet long and you hope you stop. Amazing things that they do here. I was ready to be in Lukla and on my own 2 feet

2 comments:

  1. Steve, I am so glad you have had two good walk days and I know you are glad to be on your way up. You sounded great and hope ya'll continue to have good weather. Keep your SLOW pace and enjoy your time with Jim! I can't wait to meet him. He sounds like one of a kind! I know you are so glad he is with you as do I. Have a nice dinner and keep yourself healthy! Lots of love from Tennessee!
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comment of the flight to luckla renew my souvenir you must have to do a good book with that

    ReplyDelete